Get Your Plate in Shape
Diabetes Support Group Meeting Highlights
March 20, 2012
On Tuesday, March 20, JoEllen Neefe, RD, CD, CDE spoke to the Diabetes Support Group on "Get Your Plate in Shape" in honor of National Nutrition Month®.
National Nutrition Month® is a nutrition education and information campaign created annually in March by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
The campaign focuses attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
General Guidelines for Healthy Eating:
- Make half of your plate fruits and vegetables. Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables and have fruits for dessert.
- Make at least half of your grains whole. Choose 100% whole grain breads, cereals, crackers, rice, and pasta.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat dairy products.
- Vary your protein choices. Choose a variety of protein-containing foods including: seafood, nuts and beans, poultry, lean meats, and eggs.
- Cut back on sodium. Read labels to identify higher sodium foods. Use herbs and spices instead of salt when seasoning foods.
- Cut back on empty calories from solid fats and added sugars. Drink water instead of sugary drinks. Replace solid fats with oils when preparing food.
- Enjoy your food, but eat less. Avoid over-sized portions and use smaller plates.
- Be physically active your way. Choose activities that you enjoy and start with 10 minutes/day gradually working towards 150 minutes/week.
Our next diabetes support group meeting will be on Tuesday, April 17 from 5-6pm at Prairie Clinic, second floor.
The topic will be Diabetes and Eye Health with guest speaker, Dr. Julia Dellaria from Davis Duehr Dean Eye Clinic.
For more information, please call Rita at 644-2458.
Other Important Links and References: