Tips for Being Fit
Diabetes Support Group Meeting Highlights
June 19, 2012
On Tuesday, June 19, Kayla Hine, Cardiac Rehab Intern from the Sauk Prairie Memorial Hospital
spoke to the Diabetes Support Group on the benefits of physical activity.
Here are a few tips that Kayla shared with the group
Exercise and Diabetes:
- REDUCE AND CONTROL BLOOD SUGARS
- Body becomes more efficient in utilizing glucose
- Improves A1C
- Helps your body use insulin better
- May lower insulin/oral medication requirements
Exercise and Weight:
- Regular exercise is an important part of effective weight loss
- It helps to control your weight by using excess calories that otherwise would be stored as fat
- Your weight is determined by the number of calories you eat each day minus what your body uses
Exercise and other benefits:
- Helps you feel better about yourself
- Helps you cope with stress
- Keeps you flexible and strong
- Helps you maintain a healthy weight
- Lowers cholesterol and blood pressure
- Improves heart function
Kayla encouraged small ways to incorporate daily activity such as:
- Dance when no one or everyone is watching
- Invest in exercise bands
- Act like a kid again
- Walk 10 minutes around the grocery store before you start shopping
- Park at the farthest parking spot
- Swing your arms/use nordic poles
- Take the stairs
- Buy a dog
- Get a walking buddy
The group had the opportunity to try different stretches with Kayla and handouts were provided.
If you would like more information on exercise and diabetes please contact JoEllen Neefe, RD, CD, CDE at Prairie Clinic or the
Sauk Prairie Memorial Hospital WellSpring Plus Center.
Our next diabetes support group meeting will be on July 19 from 5-6pm at the Prairie Clinic 2nd floor waiting area.
The topic for our next meeting is "Getting Started With Weight Control" For more information, please call Rita at 644-2458.
Other Important Links and References: